Everyone can use hair oil as long as it’s used correctly (which means you’re not putting it on your scalp) so I really wanted to put together a post about the best hair oil products and how to effectively use them. So many people tell me that they can’t use it because their hair gets too oily afterwards or it weighs everything down but I’d bet that if you’re having this problem that you’re doing one of two things (or maybe even both): You’re not applying it correctly or you’re applying too much. Less is more with hair oil! Just to give you an idea: I have an insane amount of hair and it’s rare that I ever use more than a nickel sized portion… and that’s even kind of a lot! Usually I use an amount closer in size to a dime!
But okay – let’s talk about how to use hair oil, shall we?
1) Mix hair oil in with your conditioner for an extra hydrating/smoothing treatment. I keep a little bottle of Macadamia Oil in my shower for this reason! I usually add about a nickel size amount into my conditioner and condition my hair like I normally would.
2) After your hair is towel dried add a little bit of hair oil to the ends of your hair to help smooth your everything out and act as a heat protectant before you blow dry/air dry. Because hair oil isn’t a styling product you won’t find that this gives you any hold but it will definitely result in a smoother style.
3) Once your hair is dry use hair oil as a smoothing agent to calm down frizz and decrease volume in your style. Have you ever dried your hair only to feel like it’s still looking a little fluffy when you wanted it to be sleek and smooth? Oil helps to deflate volume so just take a tiny amount of product and run it through your hair (avoiding your scalp, of course). Even if you don’t want to reduce your volume you can still use oil in this way – just use a tiny bit and put it on the very ends of your hair only!
Feel free to pick & choose how you use it! I don’t do all three steps every time I do my hair – I do use oil on my hair after every shampoo but I only condition with oil maybe once a week and I use it on my dry hair as needed. Play around with it!
But okay – now that I’ve talked too much about hair oil I want to share with you my favorites. Full disclosure: These are on the pricier side (more than $20) BUT this is for good reason. You want to look for ingredients like Argan Oil, Macadamia Oil, Avocado Oil, etc in your products but unfortunately these ingredients don’t come cheap. When you buy a more expensive oil you’re getting more of the “good stuff” and typically you don’t need to use as much product so the bottle lasts much longer than its drugstore counterpart. Budget friendly oils will have the powerful oils that I mentioned above in them but they’re not going to be as potent and the product is going to be filled with “filler” products that do nothing for your hair. Don’t waste your money on products like this! It’s worth splurging on a high quality oil if you really want to see the benefits.
1) Josie Maran Argan Oil. Argan oil is great for your hair, skin, or nails and this product can be used pretty much anywhere on your body! And trust me when I say a little goes a long way… I found that out the hard way! Argan oil is rich in Vitamin E and fatty acids and is great for smoothing chemically damaged hair, calming frizz, and hydrating dry hair.
2) Macadamia Natural Oil Healing Oil Treatment: Another oil blend this product blends together Argan and Macadamia Nut Oil which provide Omega fatty acids to the hair and helps to hydrate and repair from the inside out. Omega 7 most closely resembles human hair sebum which means it provides exceptional absorption, penetration, and nourishment to the hair. Macadamia Oil contains the highest amount of Omega 7 than another other nut oil so combine this with the power of Argan Oil and you’ve got yourself a product that is rich in antioxidants that will improve hair strength, restore shine, and softens dry brittle hair while reducing frizz.
3) Moroccanoil Treatment. This is an Argan Oil blend that helps restore and repair damaged hair. It is particularly excellent for kinky hair that is in need of smoothing and does wonders on wet or dry hair. It absorbs instantly and leaves the hair feeling smooth, manageable, and with incredible shine.
4) Redken All Soft Argan-6 Oil: This product is specifically geared towards those of us with dry hair who are in need of a little extra moisture boost. Formulated with powerful Argan Oil enriched with Omega 6 Redken All Soft Argan-6 provides deep hydration and frizz control.
5) Dermorganic 100% Pure Argan Oil: I’ve sung the praises of Argan Oil a lot so instead of sounding like a broken record I’ll tell you that the Dermorganic Argan oil is 100% pure, organic, Fair Trade sourced in Morocco, and even the bottle is made out of recycled plastic!
6) Bumble and bumble Invisible Hairdresser’s Oil: THIS ONE IS MY FAVORITE. Seriously… I love all the oils I mentioned in this post but the Bumble and bumble Invisible Hairdresser’s Oil is legitimately the best oil I’ve ever used on my hair. It’s formulated with not one, not two, but SIX oils (Coconut, Macadamia, Argan (of course), Sweet Almond, Grape Seed, and Safflower Seed) and is so lightweight it almost doesn’t feel like an oil at all. It smooths, hydrates, protects your hair from heat, and conditions all in one. I can’t say enough good things about it so I’m going to leave you with this: YOU NEED THIS. NEED NEED NEED. Side note: I’ve had my bottle of this for well over a year and I don’t even think I’m 1/3 of the way through it yet. It lasts forever.
Phew! That’s a lot of information! But I’m pretty obsessed with hair oil so even when I try to make it short I’m a little wordy… no surprise there.
Have you used any of these oils? Which brands are your favorite? Comment below and let me know!
Until next time 🙂